This holiday season, skip the usual marshmallow-topped casserole and serve this Savory Sweet Potato Casserole for a change of pace.
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes (5 to 6 large potatoes)
- 1 large (1 1⁄2 oz.) shallot, grated (1 1⁄2 Tbsp.)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely ground day-old sourdough breadcrumbs (2 1⁄2 oz.)
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place potatoes on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until very tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 1⁄2 hours. Cool 30 minutes. Peel and discard potato skins.
- Stir together potatoes, shallot, milk, eggs, sage, nutmeg, 1⁄2 cup of the melted butter, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1 teaspoon of the pepper with a fork until mostly smooth. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine pecans, breadcrumbs, cheese, and remaining 1⁄2 cup butter, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Sprinkle pecan mixture in an even layer over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F until topping is golden brown, 28 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.