The unpleasant occurrences of stomach troubles in the form of constipation, cramping, gas and diarrhea is one of the most common forms of health hazards which we face every now and then. Physicians usually diagnose these ailments as related to our consumption habits such as food poisoning, seasonal bugs such as stomach flu or routine bloating associated with menstruation cycle. Instances of these stomach troubles arising out of the blue are also not rare in which case it becomes essential to consult a physician at the earliest. Today we shall discuss in brief about some of the biggest culprits causing stomach ailments in people of all age groups:
- Acid reflux causes the acid content in our stomach to leak back into our oesophagus. This can pave the way for a burning sensation in our throat or chest. Both prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications can be used for threatening this condition by neutralizing or inhibiting the acid production. Permanent damage to the esophagus might be caused if this condition remains untreated for long.
- Gastritis refers to the swelling of the stomach lining and can be triggered by everything ranging from medications to the formation of carcinogenic cells in our body. The condition might also be of idiopathic nature in extreme cases. Gastritis is known to mimic most of the symptoms brought ahead by GERD. Maybe this is the biggest reason behind gastritis being treated in a similar fashion by administering acid-reducing drugs.
- Peptic ulcer refers to an open sore in the duodenum or stomach and is categorized by common symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, excessive gas, indigestion and pain. Antibiotic drugs are usually prescribed by physicians for combating with the Helicobacter pylori bacterium which is the biggest reason behind most forms of peptic ulcers.
- Crystallization of bile in the gallbladder can trigger the growth of gallstones. These jagged little stones can cause severe pain in the upper abdomen by blocking the bile duct. In extreme cases, physicians are seen resorting to surgical procedures for removal of bigger gallstones.
- Gastroparesis refers to the health condition where our stomach takes a considerable amount of time in emptying its contents into the small intestine. Nausea, vomiting and feeling of fullness are some of the common symptoms of gastroparesis. Physicians may prescribe significant dietary changes accompanied by medications to get relief from the symptoms.
- The autoimmune Celiac disorder causes our immune system to attack the small intestine on gluten consumption. Diarrhea is one of the most common forms of Celiac disorder where physicians are seen recommending an out-and-out gluten-free diet for gaining an edge over the same.
- Lactose intolerance is popular amongst people lacking the requisite enzyme for digesting sugar present in dairy produces. Bloating of stomach, gas and diarrhea are frequently experienced by people suffering from lactose intolerance on consumption of cheese or milk. Avoiding dairy products in its entirety is the safest treatment method suggested by health experts in such a scenario.
- The super friendly house pets usually shed a lot of hair which travels through the air straight into our food items paving the way for manifold stomach ailments. Since it is impossible to cease the hair shedding process, vacuuming pet hair can serve as a viable alternative in such cases.
Tummy troubles might cause the physician to run a series of tests on you for further diagnosis.