Kratom – a plant native to Southeast Asia is a medicinal herb that is also sometimes used for recreational purposes. Its usage goes back to the early 18th century.
Although the practice of using kratom in folk medicine could be older than that too.
Lately, it has gained quite the momentum, especially in the US owing to its ability to effectively manage pain, energize you, and motivate you all at the same time.
Some even feel it helps them with anxiety and depression. Some people may favor kratom who are looking for a natural route to overcome opiate withdrawal. Some use this herb just to relax, chill out, or sleep better.
Kratom is available in myriad forms; from leaves, powder, extract, to capsules. If you like things more DIY with that at-home touch, then you might want to buy kratom leaves and make the powder yourself.
Drying Of Kratom Leaves
If you have your own kratom tree (although that might be a rarity), you will need to pick the leaves when they turn mature enough. This is the point when the alkaloid concentration is highest. Since alkaloids are the true power behind kratom, harvesting only mature leaves is mega important.
Generally, it’s the late Fall when you would want to harvest them. This will be followed by the drying of the leaves. Make sure the leaves are fully dried because even a little bit of moisture could lead to a clumpy/moldy powder.
At the same time, drying them too much could make the powder lose potency. When leaves are crumbly enough upon touching; that’s a sign they’re dried enough.
To dry – just place them under direct sunlight. Avoid drying them using a microwave. For one thing, you risk burning the leaves and for another, it could destroy the alkaloids.
How to Crush Kratom Leaves?
You can also buy leaves from online stores like Kratom Crazy and then crush them. Once you’re sure the leaves are dried, remove the veins and stem. You may want to do this before drying them. You can also leave the veins and the stem on as they also carry alkaloids.
Whether you bought the leaves or prepared them at home – the next step is to take them in your palm and start crushing them. If they are well dried, they should crumble effortlessly. Make sure to place a paper or a cheesecloth underneath to collect the dust.
Turning Crushed Kratom Into Powder
Once the leaves are crushed (in case you bought them online they would already be crushed) – you can now turn it into powder.
Below are a bunch of methods you could try –
- Use a Food Processor – You would want to use one that’s powerful and has sharp blades. This is probably the quickest way to turn crushed leaves into powder. However, do know that it could take quite a bit of time as some leaves may need to be run through the processor multiple times before it turns into a fine powder.
- Use a Bell Pepper Mill – Although this method is a little lengthy, it’s actually a better alternative if you want to turn the leaves into a fine powder. If the quantity is little, this is the best option.
- Use a Coffee Grinder – This is again an excellent way if you’re dealing with a small amount. Know that it might take a couple of grinds before the leaves turn fine enough to be used as powder.
101 on Kratom Storage
How well the final product lasts and how potent it remains for long periods will depend greatly on where and how you store it.
Make sure to follow these guidelines –
- Ensure that the powder is dry with no moisture before storing it. Even a little bit of moisture or humidity could lead to mold growth and damage the alkaloids.
- Use an air-tight container to avoid the powder from frequently coming in touch with oxygen. You can use Ziploc as it allows manually removing the air before storing it away.
- Avoid kratom from getting in touch with direct sunlight. Otherwise, it could damage that alkaloids and everything good about kratom.
- Any place where there’s regular humidity like bathroom, kitchen cabinets, etc; avoid those places. Make sure the place is dry so that moisture from doesn’t’ build-up inside the container. Any cool and dry place like the garage and pantry is ideal for storage.
- Every time you reach for the kratom powder make sure to take the dosage, put it in a separate container, and place the powder back to where it was. Do not make the powder travel to and from the kitchen countertop frequently. This is important to keep it out of regular environmental touch.
- Avoid kratom powder from coming in touch with a strong odor. It can lock the smell of whatever is placed around it.
Different Ways to Consume Kratom Powder
You can get kratom powder into your system in a bunch of different ways. Some of the most popular ones are –
- You can brew it as tea. The method is pretty simple. You start by boiling the water and once it has boiled, you add kratom leaves and let it boil for a good 20 minutes. Towards the end, you can add sweetener of your choice and lemon drops for a more citrusy kick. You can check the internet for a bunch of incredibly simple yet delicious recipes.
- You can pack it into capsules and consume them as such with water. Empty capsules are easily available at local grocery and/or drugstore.
- If all else fails, you can always stick with the good old ‘toss n wash’ method. So, you take the kratom dosage, throw it into the back of your mouth, and rinse it down quickly with water or a sweet beverage like juice, etc.
- Finally, you can turn kratom powder into resin or extract. Since it’s a lengthy process we won’t discuss it here.
Word of Caution
Kratom effects can be unpredictable if you consume heavy usage. Therefore, always start with a small dose of no more than 3 grams. See how it affects you. Over the period, slowly up the dose until you find the one that works for you.