(Family Features) A wealth of research shows that starting each morning with a nutritious breakfast delivers benefits throughout the day. If you?re pressed for time or simply need to mix up your morning routine, put a fresh spin on a time-saving favorite by making a smoothie bowl.
Smoothie bowls typically have a thicker consistency than traditional smoothies, and according to a recent study in the ?American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,? the thicker the smoothie, the more full you will feel.
?I love smoothie bowls because they are a satisfying and satiating way to get a ton of nutrition in first thing in the morning,? said Carolyn Brown, a registered dietitian and nutritionist at Foodtrainers in New York City. ?You can add in healthy ingredients that you might not be able to eat on a daily basis like spinach, basil, mint, cinnamon, nut butters or avocado.?
Brown points out that in her experience with clients, people love to eat with a spoon and find it more mentally and physically satisfying. The same goes for adding texture, such as a crunchy topping like goodnessknows snack squares. These satisfying, gluten-free snacks are crafted with the goodness of whole nuts, real fruits and toasted oats, with no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners. Divided into four snackable squares per serving and nestled in a layer made with dark chocolate, one individual, two-bite square contains only about 40 calories.
Find out more about how doing a little good for yourself can go a long way at goodnessknows.com.
Recipe courtesy of Anna Luther of My Life and KidsSmoothie
- 1/2 ????? cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ???????? frozen banana
- 1/2 ????? cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 ????? cup raw oats
- 1/2 ????? cup milk (or unsweetened almond or coconut milk)
- 1 ???????? tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 ???????? tablespoon vanilla
- honey, to taste (optional)
- Diced apples
- Shaved almonds
- goodnessknows apple almond & peanut dark chocolate snack squares
- In blender, mix all smoothie ingredients until smooth. Add honey to increase sweetness, if desired. Add toppings before serving.
Oatmeal Banana Smoothie Bowl
Recipe courtesy of Alison Ray of So Chic Life
- 2/3 ????? cup rolled oats
- 1/2 ????? cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 ???????? tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 ????? teaspoon vanilla extract
- sea salt
- 1/2 ????? cup almond milk, 2 percent milk or soy milk
- 1????????? small banana (or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- goodnessknows snack squares (any flavor)
- grated coconut, to taste
- In small bowl, mix together oats, coconut milk, chia seeds, vanilla and pinch of salt. Cover and place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes, or overnight to help flavors soak in.
- In blender or food processor, combine oat mixture with remaining milk and half of the banana (or applesauce). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour creamy oats into bowl, and top with snack squares, coconut and slices of remaining banana half.
Tip: To thin consistency, use additional milk.