When stress, viruses, bacterial infections and autoimmune conditions attack the body, the immune system can get flooded in a “Cytokine Storm,” or hyper-activated cytokine release, which causes inter-cellular signaling confusion and can lead to life-threatening systemic inflammatory syndromes, oxidative stress and inhibited overall immune response.
Although cytokines, a diverse group of proteins secreted by cells to aid the immune system when needed, a Cytokine Storm is a case where too much of a good thing is not good at all.
The Cytokine Storm, which has been reported widely in recent months due to its response to fighting viruses like COVID-19, can be triggered by various stresses, pathogens, cancers, autoimmune conditions, and monogenic disorders. Therefore, reducing cytokine release from stressed cells or enhancing certain cytokines for appropriate signaling is important for maintaining the immune system and overall health.
Scientists at 24hr Supplement have been studying nutraceuticals that can modulate, or calm, the Cytokine Storm while enhancing the immune system’s innate and adaptive properties. In the process, a breakthrough discovery has been found.
Micronutrients with the strongest evidence for immune support are vitamins C and D and the mineral Zinc (Gombart). Zinc is a key nutrient in maintaining immunity because it activates the enzymes that help in breaking down proteins present in viruses and bacteria (Paola). This helps decrease the spread of infection. Zinc also contributes when the innate response gets activated, by attaching to the cells (with the help of a protein), that are the first to respond to infections. It can then help fight against the infection, and thereby, helping support the immune system.
However, one of the more intriguing herbs for supporting the immune system is Turmeric. The use of turmeric as a culinary and medicinal herb has been recorded for nearly 4,000 years. Turmeric contains a variety of phytochemical compounds including curcumin, bismethoxycurcumin and demethoxycurcumin, collectively referred to as curcuminoids. These curcuminoids are anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory agents that serve as a defense against various ailments such as arthritis, jaundice, hepatic disorders, digestive disorders, gynecological problems, skin diseases, cough, cold and dental problems (Gupta). While various studies have demonstrated the health benefits of curcumin (Prasad), it’s not readily absorbed by the body (Siviero). This has led to a proliferation of “bioavailability-enhanced” curcumin through various methods (Ji). However, increasing bioavailability of curcumin is simply not enough to dramatically support the immune system. Studies have shown that metabolites of curcumin, like tetrahydrocurcumin, are even more effective at supporting the immune system. Plus, the therapeutic potential of curcumin can be enhanced by certain minerals, such as zinc. The trick has been finding ways to put these elements together — curcumin, tetrahydrocurcumin and zinc — so they can be absorbed to calm the storm while boosting the immune system’s effectiveness.
The breakthrough finding came as result in discovering zinc can bind to curcumin and tetrahydrocurcumin to form a new metallocomplex, or molecular complex called TurmiZn-OS™ (patent pending). This new molecule allows for tremendous increase in bioavailability of curcumin and tetrahydrocurcumin while simultaneously providing the zinc requirements for the body. These elements bound together create a superior mechanism of action that supports the immunity system. For example, this new molecule helps the disruptive cytokines from being released, while simultaneously releasing the beneficial ones. For example, TurmiZn-OS™ can modulate the cytokines IL-2, IL-6, IL-8, IL-15, IL-18 by some 67% to 80%, as well as IL-17 in cells stressed by Lipopolysaccharide (LPS), while helping the production of the beneficial cytokine GM-CSF in these cells (Rona).
Efficacy in the Immune System
The efficacy of TurmiZn-OS™ stems from its inherent ability to cross cell membranes far more readily than curcumin alone. In lab experiments, TurmiZn-OS™ readily crosses cells membranes found in the intestinal tract five times better than curcumin. Additionally, scientists have used animal studies to verify TurmiZn-OS™ is found the blood after two hours of oral consumption which is three times better than curcumin absorption rates. But as said before, it’s not enough to simply increase bioavailability of curcumin to increase efficacy. The real magic of TurmiZn-OS™ becomes a highly superior antioxidant compared to curcumin. 24hr Supplement performed lab tests showing TurmiZn-OS™ is 65 times better in eliminating free radicals than curcumin alone. When free radicals are eliminated in the body, a host of beneficial health effects start occurring for maintaining immunity.
The practical application of TurmiZn-OS™ can be found in 24hr Supplement’s Immunity, a supplement that support the immune system featuring this new molecular complex as its core. This breakthrough molecule is complemented by additional immune-supporting ingredients including:
- Black Elderberry — A phytonutrient supporting the immune function and promoting a healthy respiratory system.
- Selenium — An essential micronutrient that helps fight cellular damage.
- Vitamin D3 — Builds up immunity in times of stress.
- Vitamin C — Ascorbic Acid is a well known antioxidant to maintain production of white blood cells while helping to support the body.
- Phycocyanin — A Spirulina extract that provides support by helping to maintain normal interferon levels during oxidative stress.
- Ferulic Acid — An organic compound with anti-oxidant properties that support the body during stress.
- Piperine — Black pepper extract helps the body by increasing bioavailability of important nutraceuticals like curcumin.
By transforming the powerful components found in Turmeric, and with the addition of several ingredients, 24hr Supplement has made the fight for immunity much easier. Taken daily, this supplement can significantly enhance the body’s natural way of preventing sabotage from any number of pathogens.
Amazon® recently approved 24hr Supplement’s Immunity product to be available for sale as a dietary supplement. One bottle of 24hr Supplement Immunity contains 60 capsules with a recommended dose of two capsules per 24 hours, giving users 30 days immune support. To pass Amazon’s newly upgraded qualifications, 24hr Supplement provided a Certificate of Analysis from an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory to verify its contents, as well as product photos that clearly display all required information, and a Letter of Guarantee that assures the product is legal, safe and developed under current Good Manufacturing Practices, as listed in 21 CFR Part 111.
About Rajiv Lall, CEO
Mr. Lall brings more than 25 years in the health food and nutraceutical industry, specializing in the study of plants and naturals sources that support human health. He is the co-author of Nutraceuticals: Efficacy, Safety, and Toxicity, and has two Masters degrees, one in Botany from Gujrat University in India, and the second in Pharmacognosy/Medicinal Chemistry from the University of Minnesota. His scientific research for the development of novel nutritional products and pharmaceuticals has helped produce 20 patents and several hundred products. Learn more at 24hrsupplement.com.
References: (Reduce to smaller font)
- Gombart AF, Pierre A, Maggini S. A Review of Micronutrients and the Immune System-Working in Harmony to Reduce the Risk of Infection. Nutrients. 2020;12(1):236. Published 2020 Jan 16. doi:10.3390/nu12010236
- Gupta SC, Sung B, Kim JH, Prasad S, Li S, Aggarwal BB. Multitargeting by turmeric, the golden spice: From kitchen to clinic. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. 2013;57(9):1510‐
- Ji HF, Shen L. Can improving bioavailability improve the bioactivity of curcumin? Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2014;35(6):265‐
- Prasad S, Aggarwal BB. Turmeric, the Golden Spice: From Traditional Medicine to Modern Medicine. In : Benzie IFF, Wachtel‐Galor S, eds. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. Boca Raton(FL)2011.
- Paola Bonaventura, Giulia Benedetti, Francis Albarède, Pierre Miossec,
- Zinc and its role in immunity and inflammation, Autoimmunity Reviews, Volume 14, Issue 4, 2015, Pages 277-285, ISSN 1568-9972.
- Rona Banerjee, “Inhibitory Effect of Curcumin-Cu(II) and Curcumin-Zn(II) Complexes on Amyloid-Beta Peptide Fibrillation”, Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications, vol. 2014, Article ID 325873, 8 pages, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/325873
- Siviero A, Gallo E, Maggini V, et al. Curcumin, a golden spice with a low bioavailability. Journal of Herbal Medicine. 2015;5(2):57‐