Delicious, filling salads don’t require a recipe so much as a smart template and plenty of fresh inspiration and ingredients, which is precisely how this chopped chickpea salad comes together.
- Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas are our pick for convenience, but you can also cook up a batch of dried beans, if you like.
- Chopped greens: We’re partial to crunchy romaine, spicy arugula, or crisp red cabbage. You can even toss in some fresh herbs.
- Red onion: This brings a little bit of sweetness and a little bit of bite. Rinse them under cold water if you want a milder flavor.
- At least 2 chopped vegetables: Tomatoes, cucumbers, diced zucchini, corn — it’s all fair game.
- More protein: Give your salad an extra boost of protein with cheese, sliced hard-boiled egg, or nuts.
- Dressing: The red wine vinaigrette listed below goes with pretty much everything, although you can also swap in another favorite.
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup
- red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves
- garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon
- Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon
- kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup
- olive oil
Greek Salad Version
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup small-dice red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to give the garlic time to mellow. Whisk in the oil until the dressing is emulsified.
- Make the salad: Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.