Cleaning with a household cleaner that contains soap or detergent reduces the amount of germs on surfaces and decreases risk of infection from surfaces. In most situations, cleaning alone removes most virus particles on surfaces. Disinfection to reduce transmission of COVID-19 at home is likely not needed unless someone in your home is sick or if someone who is positive for COVID-19 has been in your home within the last 24 hours.
When and how to clean surfaces in your home
- Clean high-touch surfaces regularly (for example, daily) and after you have visitors in your home.
- Focus on high-touch surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, handles, light switches, and countertops.
- Clean other surfaces in your home when they are visibly dirty or as needed. Clean them more frequently if people in your household are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19. You might also choose to disinfect.
- Clean surfaces using a product suitable for each surface, following instructions on the product label.
- Wear gloves for all tasks in the cleaning process. Additional personal protective equipment (PPE) (e.g., eye protection) might be required based on the cleaning or disinfection products being used and whether there is a risk of splash.
- Only clean and disinfect the area around the person who is sick when needed (when the area is soiled) to limit your contact with the person who is sick.
- Open outside doors and windows, and use fans and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) settings to increase air circulation.
Reduce contamination of surfaces
Take steps in your home to limit contamination of surfaces from airborne particles or from touching surfaces with contaminated hands.
- Ask unvaccinated visitors to wear masks.
- Follow guidance for fully vaccinated people before inviting visitors to your home.
- Isolate people who are sick with COVID-19.
- Have everyone in your household wash hands often, especially when returning from outside activities.
In addition to cleaning, disinfect your home when someone is sick or if someone who is positive for COVID-19 has been in your home within the last 24 hours. Disinfecting kills any remaining germs on surfaces and reduces the spread of germs.
Join us as world-renowned doctors, experts, and healers teach you how to apply ancient wisdom & cutting-edge science to break free from old patterns, unlock your healing potential, and radically shift your life!