An essential hollow space in your house between the ground and first floor – is the Crawl Space. Its usual height is 1, 2, 3 feet – just adequate space for someone to go into by crawling, as the name implies. But in most cases, this place is left dirty, damp and overlooked because of their exposure to moisture and water. This makes it an ideal place for the immense growth of mold, rust, mildew, and insects.
But you can take measures to prevent the unwanted damage of the crawl space by giving the protection of moisture barrier. The best available moisture barrier like www.vochtbestrijdingsnel.be is generally made of foil sheet or plastic material and really effective to prevent the vapor from penetrating your crawl space.
Crawl Space Moisture Control
For several reasons, the moisture in the crawl space appears. Mainly, water gathers in crawl space for issues like a drainage blockage or plumbing leak. This stagnant water of the crawl space gives rise to the moisture problem. But taking some measures for proper moisture control is necessary to avoid issues like mildew, rodents, rots, and vermin, as well as, it will help in maintaining the resale value of your house. Before this moisture in crawl space starts hurting your property value, you need to take proper measures to prevent the damage.
There are several things you can do to control this moisture. Here is a glimpse:
- Use a dehumidifier in the crawl space to remove the humidity, which prevents condensation from increasing the amount of humidity in the crawl space and also removes the humidity from the corners of the houses.
- Using Sump pumps to remove & modify the water’s direction away from a building if the water level rises.
- Keep a good drainage system to make an exit way for the stagnant water in a safer place which will prevent it from causing many other problems.
- Keep your windows open to make way for the free air, which will enter your crawl space during the daytime, and some sunlight will surely help in maintaining humidity at an adequate level.
- Also, you can plant some moisture soaking Cactus plants in your crawl area. Fern plants will also work for such purposes and will not need a lot of sunlight.
- The process of Encapsulation is another option, and for this, you need to install vapor barriers to the space’s foundation walls & floor. In this way, releasing moisture into this spot of the house will be locked.
- Also, try to take the prevention measure of Vapor barriers made of polyethylene sheets. Place it on the uncovered soil of your crawl space to reduce the growing moisture and the increase of relative humidity in an area.
In this article, we have provided many prevention measures for the unwanted moisture in your crawl area which you can follow to stay hygienic and healthy.