Modern day ?silent killer? chooses no one. According to the CDCP (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), about 325,000 men die annually due to heart disease. What?s even more concerning is the fact that this has become the highest fatality among men even if you combine all types of cancers. Is there a way to prevent it?
If the condition is not congenital, one of the measures to lower your risk of being a victim aside from regular exercise is to eat right. There are certain foods that naturally reduce cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and can lower your risk of having a heart attack. You can still enjoy food but the key is to watch out for what you eat.
Aside from oatmeal here is a list of foods that are excellent for the heart.? Let this be your guide in eating a healthy snack and meal.
- Legumes ? soluble fibers found in beans and lentils works wonders in flushing out bile acids high in cholesterol from your body. You can make a salsa out of them combined with fresh onions, lime, juice, cilantro and black beans.
- Blueberries ? Eating a cup of blueberries everyday fights the process of the inflammation of the artery walls. This inflammation is what increases your risk of suffering from a heart attack. Blueberries are natural antioxidants. Enjoy your yogurt and cereals with fresh or frozen berries during breakfast or snack.
- Fatty Fish ? The omega 3 fats found in sardines, salmon, and herring helps in improving your cardiac capacity each time you exercise. It is recommended to eat one serving of fatty fish two times in a week. The next time you think about making chicken salad for lunch, try canned tuna or salmon instead.
- Beets ? Smooth blood flow in the blood vessels is vital. You need your arteries to expand to prevent arterial stiffness especially when you have high blood pressure. Beets are rich in nitrites necessary in improving the flow of blood that can lower blood pressure. Have a healthy and refreshing beet shake or toss some into your favorite green salad for added nutritional value and color.
- Nuts ? according to studies, people who eat a handful of walnuts, pecans, and almonds 5 times or more every week were 29% unlikely to die or suffer a heart attack compared to those who don?t consume the same. Nuts are rich in protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Including nut butters on your meal plan as well as unsalted mixed nuts and raw nuts will dramatically improve your health instead of junk foods.
Let?s face it though. The reality is not everyone has the time or energy to prepare and cook foods with the right amount of nutritional values. In times like this, you can go online and order a healthy Meal Prep Los Angeles delivered.? Eating a healthy diet is good for your figure and heart. Don?t limit your diet to crackers and milk. Enjoy a variety of foods in your meals as well as snacks by eating in moderation. As the universal saying goes, anything in excess is bad for your health.