Patients seeking a doctor who will boost their body’s natural healing ability and apply the least invasive diagnostics and therapies should consider a licensed naturopathic doctor. This is according to the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), which today released a new FAQ on six reasons to choose a naturopathic doctor, in partnership with the Institute for Natural Medicine (INM).
- You want a doctor who will treat all of you, not just your illness.
- You want personalized treatment.
- You want to treat the root cause of an illness, not just the symptoms.
- You want to actively participate in managing your own health.
- You have chronic pain and don’t want to use pharmaceutical drugs such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or highly addictive opioids to manage it forever.
- You have tried all conventional medical options for diagnosing and treating a health condition.
“Certain chronic health conditions that have symptoms such as fatigue, insomnia, or gastrointestinal distress can be difficult to diagnose and treat, and can benefit from a holistic approach,” said Michelle Simon, PhD, ND. “Naturopathic doctors use diagnostic tools common in conventional medicine, such as detailed health, disease, and prescription drug histories, physical exams, and targeted laboratory testing and imaging. They also consider diet history, lifestyle habits and choices, exercise history, and social/emotional factors to assess patients’ needs. These approaches can open doors to new treatment pathways and options.”
The complete FAQ, “Under what circumstances should I choose to see a naturopathic doctor?” can be found here.